Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday Morning Analysis

If you haven't read the previous post, you need to read it first to understand this one.

It's Monday morning and we have more information about the robbery and some feelings about what happened Saturday night.

We now know that the robbery was at Taco Bell, not Taco Johns. A man, the suspect, approached another man, the victim, in the parking lot and demanded money. The victim didn't give him money so the suspect sprayed him with mace and fled the scene with no money.

I'm really mad now because all this happened and we were supposedly armed with mace. First I want to say that I know police have a scary and dangerous job and have to approach each suspect with extreme caution. Here's my views.

- First and foremost they should have let us all know what was going on. We don't get pulled over by the police like this, so we didn't know what to do or how to act. What if a passenger had taken a drink from his water bottle while they were ordering me out of the car? Would the shadow have looked like a gun, would the police have fired?

- I know a criminal has no "set look". But with me shaking like a leaf and dressed in my stereo-typical kacki pants with polo shirt, come on.

- What if the cop with the shaky hands had got nervous and fired? This is scary stuff for me to think about.

- The suspect was a black male in a light colored SUV. I have a nice tan, but come on. How many light colored SUV's did we pass on our drive through town on a busy Saturday night? Did they pull them all over and act like this? It amazes me that someone on the radio, not at the scene, had to tell them they had the wrong people. He can't even see us and figured it out before the police did.

- We now know the cop had been following us at least 3 miles before we even drove by the robbery scene. Does this mean that this cop was following us when the attempted robbery went down? If so, how could we be driving down the road and attempting to rob someone 3 miles away at the same time? Is there any common sense?

- Why would we drive by the crime scene after we committed a crime? Why would we drive 5 miles across town with a policeman following us and obey every traffic signal, use our blinkers and drive the speed limit? Wouldn't we try to get away? Wouldn't we be heading out of town, instead of through town? Why would I pull in the grocery store parking lot and pull in a parking space that's blocked by the cart return?

- 10 policeman with guns pointed at us for someone armed with mace? Come on.

- What if my 6 year old and 8 year old daughters had been the passengers in the back seat? What if they would have been the ones in there by themselves when the cops were shouting don't turn around or we'll shoot? Would they obviously not be looking around bawling trying to see what was happening to Mommy and Daddy? This totally scares me to point of making me sick at my stomach.

There's so many ways in why this story is wrong. A nice apology and explanation sure would have gone a long way that night. We were scared to death, totally humiliated, and sure felt like every right we had was violated (this is only a feeling as I'm sure in that situation you don't have many rights). We were made to feel like common criminals (armed with mace I might add).

I want to complain to someone. I want someone to hear my story. I don't want this to happen to someone with small children in the car. Anyone have any ideas?

This is something we can laugh at now, but it also still scares us to death.

PS: Anyone want to buy a 2004 white Tahoe Z71? Warning: it looks like a mace packing criminal's ride.

5 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

Our get-away-car also has a really nice bumper sticker that says "Wingo Star Student". We are criminals who have smart well behaved kids.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I would be so totally pissed off! I can't believe they didn't even apologize or anything. That is so ridiculous!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger That Girl said...

I really thought that the previous post was a well thought out piece of fiction. I can't believe it really happened! You definitely have to make an appointment with the mayor, police chief, and probably news editor. Someone needs to admit a mistake. I am so sorry y'all had to go through all that! Remind me not to carry my mace when driving through Paducah!

4:57 PM  
Blogger paul said...

This would all seem so normal in Brazil. Glad you guys are ok. I'm been pulled over like that with the guns all pointed. It was the scariest moment of my life. I feel for ya.

Whew! It is over! You can breathe now!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Bluecanary said...

Apparently it is dangerous and criminal to drive a white Chevy. Only when it happened to the me the police officer handled it extremely well.

I was driving down a Texas highway through the country with 4 other passengers on my way to a country church my friend was preaching at when a cop passed me and turned around. I was going about 5 over. He put on his lights and I pulled over. He had me get out of the car, asked where I was going and where I was coming from with a stern voice. I told him and he said he had to do a license check. He ran my license, then told me they had a domestic disturbance kidnapping and the decription was they were driving a white Chevy car in this area. He apologized for the inconvience, wished me well, and let me go. My only humiliation was that all my fellow friends that passed thought I got a ticket. I know if I knew the person kidnapped, I would want that cop doing the same thing. He handled it very well.

Cecil told me about this story this morning and I am still upset for your sake. This was way, way overboard. It would be one thing if you had a unique vehicle, but those white Chevy's seem to be pretty popular. It's like they had definitive proof that your were the one before even checking the situation. Plus, you did everything they were asking and complying. Someone who tries to rob a person with mace is a desperate idiot, not an intelligent criminal with an elaborate get away scheme. You gave no indication whatsoever that you were unwilling to cooperate.

I hope you get your apology. Cops have a tough job but this is ridiculous.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home