Happy Anniversary
8 years ago today I was crawling out of bed to go play golf. I played golf with my Uncle John, my cousin Tim, and I think my cousin Mark. I didn't eat anything because I was nervous. It was hot and I didn't drink enough water. At around 2:00 I made my way to the church to start taking pictures. At 5:30 ish my groomsmen and I walked into the church auditorium. I walked over and gave my mom a rose. She was already crying and as I stood in front of the auditorium waiting on my bride, I had to really struggle to keep from crying. I looked back at my mom and she had a big piece of kleenex stuck to her face. I didn't have the urge to cry anymore. I spent the next 2 minutes trying to make hand gestures at her to get it off.
A few minutes later, the most beautiful woman I had ever seen walked down the aisle towards me. During the songs we sat up there and talked our heads off. We had to catch up because we hadn't seen each other or talked to each other in 18 hours. We were best friends so we had a lot of catching up to do. I am the practical joker but I knew better than to do anything during the ceremony. Leave it to Carrie's friends to come up with something. They acted like they lost the ring. We wrote our own vows. I remember the last line of Carrie's was, "You are my prince charming".
Afterwords we took pictures and had to drive about 15 minutes to the reception. I was dehydrating and starving. We stopped at a mini mart and got something to drink. We arrived at the reception and were so excited about seeing the "food art" that Shannon Smith had created. She came out and was almost in tears. She had turned her back for just a minute and everyone helped themselves to the food. When we walked in the food was gone. I think I got one strawberry. Oh well, so much for the receiving line. At least they didn't touch the cake before we could cut it.
Later that night we hopped in a limo and were taken to Nashville, TN. We arrived to the hotel at 3:30 am to check in. He asked if I wanted a wake up call. I said yes at 4:00 am and then paid for the room in cash. He looked at us very funny. We did dollar dances at the reception so we had a pocket full of dollars (Carrie earned about twice what I did). We had to catch a plane to Maui at 5:30 so we didn't do anything but take a shower. We were going to follow the rules and be at the airport 90 minutes before take off. We were there 75 minutes before take off and had to wait 45 minutes for the ticket counter to open.
What a day. It was one of the greatest days of my life because I was sharing it with my best friend. That day I married my sweetheart. Happy Anniversary Carrie, I love you.
It's going to get hot this week and I'm not ready. We did get a little rain last week but it's about to run out and it's supposed to be dry all week.
In 2002 we decided we wanted to move to Mayfield. We live about 20 minutes from Mayfield and we both drive that at least once a day if not twice. It's where Carrie's office is so during tax season she could run home at lunch if needed. The girls will go to school in Mayfield starting at 7th grade, so there are lots of reasons behind our decision. On June 11, 2007 we finally signed the papers to put our house on the market. It only took us 5 years to finally do it. We have worked our butts off the last week cleaning and de-cluttering (actually Carrie worked a lot more than me). We do have a couple of houses we like if ours sells quickly. If ours sells quickly and there's nothing we want to buy, I told her we could live in the camper for a while. That wasn't very well received.
We are finally going racing this weekend. We had to miss Nashville because of a family reunion. We are hitting Ky Speedway this weekend.
4 Comments:
Congratulations on getting your dream girl and have fun at the track!
Is it any wonder why I love this man??
Great post...but man you ramble like a woman!
Happy Anniversary guys!
What a love story! Congratulations!!! May the Lord bless you with a lifetime of love, joy, and happiness together.
Post a Comment
<< Home