Home & Gone
Had a wonderful time in Chicago. We had a lot of fun at the wedding. It was a very large affair. I would say their was 150-200 people at the reception and it was a long, drawn out affair. I had to say the prayer before we ate and some interesting things came of that.
First of all I almost got a standing ovation. Everybody started clapping when I was done and I thought they were going to stand. I walked by my Aunt on the way back to my seat and she thanked me for a beautiful prayer. I told her we didn't give standing ovations for prayer in the bible belt. She got a kick out of that. It was really weird at first and started to make me uncomfortable. Then I sat down and thought about it. They were clapping because they agreed with what I said, maybe some were moved by what I said, maybe some were thanking me for saying words to our Father that included them, or maybe some were glad I was done so I could eat. Anyways, after that I got to thinking, I wish we did that in church. It was a good feeling because you really felt people getting behind your words and helping drive them to the Father.
Next, at least a dozen people sought me out throughout the night to tell me what a beautiful prayer and how gifted a speaker I was. Come on, give me a break. I told them all that when you were a person like me you got a lot of practice praying (meaning I have to do it quite often). Seriously, I've prayed at two large functions that weren't church related (this wedding reception and my class reunion) and people fell all over themselves trying to get to me to tell me what a beautiful prayer I said. I don't get it. Don't people pray?
Conclusions:
1: I'm not afraid to speak in front of people so I guess that's half the battle.
2: I don't pray in the KJV language. I try to talk to God like he's a friend. I told someone before that I do give him respect in the bowing down sense, but most of the time I want to sit in his lap.
I think this is the part of it that gets people. They don't pray alot because they don't think they can come up with the proper words. They don't know where to put the thee's, thou's, ready recollections, guide guard and directs, thine's, and afflicteds. That's why I know how to pray and why I pray a lot. Just start talking to God like he IS your father. He does understand hillbilly talk. So I think they are impressed to hear someone do a public prayer that is spoken in their language. It's not me, it's the language and the people can understand it (sounds like a good tagline for the NIV). Hopefully they'll go home and try it themselves.
Sunday we had a brunch in the morning that was delicious. We then went to my cousins and vegged out.
Monday we played golf all day in the rain while the women shopped.
Monday night we went to a huge carnival and fireworks display. It was pretty neat.
Tuesday we drove home and today I left for Elizabethtown, KY for work. I will be ready to get home tomorrow afternoon and stay their a few days. I did get to go watch Macy play Jr golf this morning. She's coming right along.
2 Comments:
I understand. People are so used to prayers that are formal and written out, when they hear someone speak like they are in a relationship they are surprised...personally I am refreshed. At our next (OK 1st) blog convention you get to pray, but can I speak? I don't have to be the featured speaker, heck, I can just introduce you.....
Amen on the prayer thoughts! I liked this post a lot.
Post a Comment
<< Home