Barney
About 6 weeks ago, I met a modern day Barney Fife. It was sad to hear about Don Knotts, he was a great actor. Anyway he was a deputy sheriff in a little county in Southern Illinois. It was a Sunday afternoon and we were driving up to the duck hunting lodge. We were listening to the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Indiannapolis Colts and I guess I wasn't paying much attention to my driving. A few minutes later I had a ticket in my hand. He kind of looked like Barney, he walked like Barney, and he acted like Barney. The only difference was this Barney cussed. I did say he was the modern day Barney. There was no talking him out of it, and he wasn't about to reduce it any.
So last night I had to go to Metropolis, IL for driving school from 6-10 pm. I was dreading this all day. 4 hours on a Monday night plus an hour drive home. YUK! Anyway we had the worst presenter I've ever seen. He read straight from the book. I promise he once said........... that finishes up this section. Page 26. Ask the students a question. Question............................. He read everything that was on the page. I understand why I had to go to driving school, but I promise there was nothing to change my driving habits (except the dread of a 4 hour class). If they are going to have the class and pay someone to teach it, they should use someone that can teach. Anyway, he ended up being the best teacher in the world. We met 50 minutes and then took a 15 minute break. We met another 30 minutes and went home. We were there 1 hour and 35 minutes out of the required 4 hours. He was a great teacher.
Headed to Evansville for a meeting this afternoon. This one will be more interesting that driving school.
4 Comments:
There is a great lesson to be learned by those who teach/speak publicly.....it don't matter what you say if you keep it short...
I know that is not totally true, but it goes a long way
Does Metropolis still have Superman signs up like they did when I was a kid?
Tl: that's what I tried to do, but no one had their phone.
C4: Old? I'm young.
djg: If they can't speak well and be interesting, then short is definitely good.
Wail: Can't wrestle forever.
Danny: Yes they do. They also have a very large superman festival every year. People come from everywhere.
Post a Comment
<< Home