Thursday, January 26, 2006

Grandma

My Grandma died early this morning (my Dad's mother). She was my last living Grandparent. They took her to the hospital Wednesday morning, as she wouldn't respond. I got there late in the afternoon because I was driving back from Peoria, IL. She was basically just asleep. She stayed that way till 4:30 this morning when she died.

Grandma has been in a rest home for a long time. I'm not sure how long but I would say at least 15 years. She hasn't been the Grandma I knew since then. She hasn't had much of a mind since then, so it wasn't a shock when she died. We've expected it for a while.

Grandma had a very hard life. My Grandfather left her with 3 little kids, so she they had to live with her Dad who could barely make ends meet himself. So needless to say they grew up extremely poor. My Dad shows me all the places they lived when he was little. He says they literally had to move about everytime the rent was due. Through all this they made it.

Before Grandma's mind got bad, she was the happiest person in the world. It didn't take much to entertain her or make her happy. She lived in a very small house without A/C. We bought her a window unit, but she never turned it on. It made her cold. She was the Grandmother I would run to when I didn't get my way, needed something, or just wanted some spoiling. I never did any wrong in her eyes. She just couldn't believe I had done anything wrong when my parents would spank me. I knew where to run after I got in trouble.

Before she went to the rest home, she would come to our house to eat every Sunday after Church. This was one of her favorite things to do. Everyone would be done eating at 1:00 except Grandma. She would stay with it till about 2:00. She was a slow eater and she thoroughly enjoyed every bite.

When I started playing the guitar, she loved to hear me play. I would play Amazing Grace, Victory in Jesus, I Saw the Light, and then Here's a Quarter Call Someone Who Cares. An odd combination, but that was her favorite songs. We hummed though the D word in the Quarter song.

She wrote her memoirs some years ago. I'm going to look for it and hopefully post it in the next few days. It is really neat. It is rather long, but hopefully I can get it posted.

My Aunt and cousins will be coming in from Chicago tomorrow. She was just down last weekend, so that's good she got to see her Mother one last time.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Tommy,
I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. The way that you described her reminded me of my grandmother (she died 10 years ago this coming April). She was always the last to eat and she savored every bite. (I would get hungry just watching her eat) She was also sick for 15 years before she passed on to be with Jesus. I will be praying for you and your family through your loss. Hang on to the memories!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I am very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have some real good memories though.

I will pray for you and yours.

2:34 PM  
Blogger k2 said...

tommy,

i look forward to reading your grandmother's memoirs. i still need to do that for my daughter. our written history is something that we will wish we wrote down later if we don't do it now. my wife has been on me to do it for quite some time.

take care brother, and know you are in our prayers.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Tommy said...

Thanks to all. Definitely alot of good memories.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Danny Sims said...

What a great post. I hope you do post more about her.

Blessings for you and your entire fmaily as you mourn. You also have great joy.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home