Thursday, October 27, 2005

Touched



What a trip. I'm worn completely out, I don't know how they've been doing this for 2 months. It will break your heart, but it will also make you feel good.

The town is still in crisis. Pascagoula is a town of 30,000 people and 90% of the homes were flooded. I don't believe anyone is living in their house yet. Everyone is in a camper or a tent. Most are living out of coolers and are about sick of it. People are in need of water, ice, blankets, jackets, bedding, cleaning supplies, food, personal care, etc. Just about anything you can imagine. Why don't they just go to the store and buy it? Most of them are on a fixed income. Even the ones that make decent money are in need. Why? Because they all are going to have to rebuild the inside of their houses, including furniture and appliances. If you didn't have flood insurance (which most didn't) you are screwed. The only hope you have is that part of your roof blew off which will entitle you to insurance money on that one room.

Most of the time is spent giving away all of these supplies. John's church is trying to take care of a 10 block radius. They are also trying to rebuild 1000 houses. Nothing elaborate, bascially getting it where you can move back in. So many people would be hurting if it weren't for this effort. They are very thankful when that church bus comes around the corner honking.

More to come.

2 Comments:

Blogger k2 said...

tommy,
thanks for giving of yourself and going to help.
i've learned that it is not what you say, its what you do. and you did.
thanks!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Tommy said...

Yea I wish I could have met you. I didn't see your comments until I was back home. I did ask John about you and he said you lived fairly close by.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home