The People
I spent 2 full days and one evening working in Pascagoula. I was dog tired when I left. It was non-stop all day and well into the evening. I did it for a little over 2 days. I can't imagine how the people are feeling that have been doing it every day for 2 weeks. They have to be running on adrenaline.
There's Dave, who is a machine. He is a member at Central and he is heading up the duties at the church and also the rebuilding crews.
There's Elaine (Dave's wife) who worked the whole time we were there. She was constantly going through all the clothes that people were bringing.
There's JD the preacher at Central. He was constantly visiting someone about helping them get some new appliances. When he wasn't doing this, he was driving the bus around the neighborhoods handing out supplies.
There's Carlos the carpenter. Carlos is from Indianapolis, IN and hitchhiked down to the gulf after the storm. He knows no one there, he just came to help. He has been helping the Central church in their rebuilding efforts. He doesn't get paid by the job or get a weekly salary. I'm sure he makes a little from some of the people he's helping or the church helps him along. He is staying at the church and they supply his meals. I would say he could make more money back in Indy or working on his own around town. But no, he chooses to help.
There's Nathan the painter. Nathan is from North Carolina and like Carlos, had no ties to the gulf. He just came to help people.
There's one lady (I forgot her name) that cooks lunch and supper everyday for the workers. Now this has to be tiring. She's cooking 2 meals a day for 15-40 people. This is 7 days a week. When I was there, one of the lady's in from TN offered to cook supper. She was happy to get a break. I can't believe I forgot her name, because she sure can cook.
There's many more that I am forgetting or can't think of their names. They are all machines that chose to help their fellow man in time of need.
1 Comments:
you have been tagged!
The rules:
1. Delve into your blog archive.
2. Find your 23rd post (or closest to).
3. Find the fifth sentence (or closest to).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions. Ponder it for meaning, subtext or hidden agendas…
5. Tag five people to do the same.
Post a Comment
<< Home