Sunday, August 21, 2005

Where in the World (Part Deux)

So no to the "Where in the World".

Cecil is doing a month long series on "Where in the World did that come from". It is a catch phrase for things that are prevalent in churches but you can't find them in scripture. His first two topics were "The Sinners Prayer" and "Instrumental Music". Now these are two things that are commonplace in most churches but not very common in Churches of Christ. My first thought when I heard this was, "Cecil, what in the world are you thinking?". He knows these are things that we have a tough time with. We often condemn people for these things. It is a barrier that we put between us and other denominations. We are the ones that get upset about it. So I thought he was going to rally the troops and seperate the gap even more. After all the afternoon conversations we've had in his office on things like this, I couldn't believe he was going there.

Well as usual, he suprised me. He did a real good job at not doing any of this. He threw a twist in at the end and basically said it is when we get so consumed about these things and act out on them, in a bad manner, that we are the ones wrong. Now some who only listened to the first 20 minutes did get the wrong message and some that listened to it all probably didn't get it.

Today he brought up something we do that is not in scripture; Sunday School. Oh no, now we're not practicing what we preach. He did a really good job. Definitely a top 5 of all time. He even tied in Mission foundations, childrens homes, schools, etc. He ended it with the verse out of Colossians that says whatever you do, do in the name of the lord.

So, Cecil, I apoligize for all the bad thoughts I had when I heard the titles to your August sermons.

1 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

I hope the lawsuit goes well for you Tommy.

The sermon series sounds great. I would love to receive a weekly CD with Cecil's sermons on it.

Among all of my friends, I admire Cecil the most for his homiletic abilities.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home