Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Confused

Why can't we take the good things as they come? Why do we look for bad in everything? Why can't we just take baby steps?

We had a couple of new visitors at church tonight. Excuse me while I give a little background. We have a pantry at church to help people who need food, paper towels, etc. A man came today and asked if he could get some stuff out of it. When he left, the church secretary invited him to church tonight. He said if we had a van that could come to pick him up he would come. Cecil went in the van to pick him and his girlfriend (or wife, or friend that is a girl) up. They came in and were warmly greeted. Someone came and asked me who they were. I told them the story and said it was a good story because we ask "pantry people" to come to church all the time and it rarely happens. So now we have a "pantry person" that accepted the invitation. Hooray!!! This persons response was "how did he get to the church to get his pantry supplies?". "He can drive or get a ride to come get something he wants, but we have to go pick him up to come to church."

How ridiculous. We finally got what we wanted, someone who uses the pantry to accept our invitation. Now we can't be happy about that. Now I'm sure this person didn't mean anything bad by this statement, but it still ticks me off. We have to nitpick everything. We should be happy that our pantry has given us an opportunity to share the story of Jesus with someone.

On a seperate note, Cecil's class tonight was on the church. How there is an ideal church, but we as humans keep it from becoming ideal. Of course down the road eventually it will live up to that ideal (this was completely paraphrased and in my terminology). A man posed this question to me after class. "If you went to every house in Fulton, KY and asked them what they knew about Parkway Church of Christ, what would they say"? My responses were: you're the church on the way to Wal Mart, you are the guys with no piano, you think your the only ones going to Heaven, ya'll are a cult (my personal favorite), you think water saves you, and I don't know. He agreed and said, "I bet not a one of them would say you're the church that loves each other". How dare him say that, we do love each other. Actually this is sad but true and we have no one to blame but ourselves. Are we the only ones, no. That would not be the response I would give for any church in Fulton or anywhere. But I bet that's the response for Jesus's ideal church.

We'll anyway. Going to the lake after work tomorrow. The girls are very excited. I will just leave from there Friday for work. We do have to come back home Friday night for a ballgame and I guess we'll spend the night at home since we have a game Sat morning. Anyway, hope my return key worked. I can't promise I used it at the right time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home