Friday, April 22, 2005

Not Stupid twice

Just to clarify things. I learned my lesson. Had the "for God so loved the world" question again, and I did not miss it. Macy went to the dentist yesterday and was a perfect angel. She let them clean her teeth (even without momma in the room with her). She does have two loose teeth. I dread that. She will be one that hangs on to them till they just literally fall out. She is a drama queen. Her big day is tomorrow. She is so excited. Final count is 14 kids not counting adults. I sure hope there's at least 7 adults there not counting me. I'm sure there will be. Well I have to teach the lesson Sunday night (most people call it preaching, but I'm not a preacher so it's teaching Sunday school at night for me). Cecil wanted a lesson title Tuesday night so he could put it in the bulletin on Wednesday. I said I haven't wrote (in my proofreading I see that this should have been written, but I probably said wrote so I'll leave it) it yet. I did my duty and called him Wednesday with a title. I'm not much on titles. As a matter of fact it took me longer to think of a title than it did to think about what I was going to teach on. It is titled "What do you mean WWJD?". We always say do what Jesus would do, but do we really know what that is. First, most of us don't because we don't study about him enough. We know everything about our family and friends. Why? Because we study them. Oh we call it hanging out with them and communicating with them, but the result is we are studying them. Well how do we expect to know anything about Jesus or God when we haven't spent much time studying them let alone communicating with him. Now I know what you're thinking. I pray before every meal and before bed. Well is that the only time you talk to your spouse, your kids, your friends.... I think not. As Earl Pitts says, "Wake up America". You can't have a relationship with someone without communication. You must talk to the one you want a realtionship with. One thing I learned from this lesson is that I fail in prayer also. I thought I had a really good prayer life. I do pray a lot. I'm a salesman, so I drive around a lot. I do spend a good amount of that driving time in prayer (usually it is an unfinished prayer because the cell phone rings). That brings up another topic. I guess those aren't legal prayers since the cell phone interrupts "In Jesus name I pray". Back to the point. One verse I studied ( I can't remember which one) says that Jesus got up in the morning and went out by himself to pray. The scene to me is this. Jesus gets up before anyone else, slips out alone, and prays (spends time in communication) to God. It doesn't seem like a five minute prayer either. It seems like he spent a great deal of time on this occasion talking to God. I do good to get 5 minutes in the morning. My problem is that I get to thinking that God knows everything I'm going to tell him, so does he want me to repeat myself. Well we all say the key to a good realtionship is communication. Why should it be any different than our relationship with our heavenly Father? It shouldn't. So anyway, my lesson is own studying the attributes that Jesus had. He served, He forgave, He sacrificed, He submitted to God's will, He was gentle and meek, He prayed, and He loved. I end it up that love is the most important and if you figure this one out it will take care of all the other ones. You will serve out of Love, you will forgive out of love, you will sacrifice out of love, you will obey out of love, you will be gentle out of love, you will communicate because of love, etc. Anyway, rambled long enough. I will step off my soap box now.

3 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

I bet that it goes great, Tommy. It certainly is a great thought. I wish I could be there to hear it. Be very confident ... it is God's message ... and you are his man. I look forward to your telling us about it!

9:22 PM  
Blogger JD said...

Sorry for what I did to you in trivia today ... but ... you did make that comment about preachers being at the bottom of the list ... so I had to do my best! LOL

6:33 AM  
Blogger JD said...

Glad to hear that the sermon went well. I had confidence that it would!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home