Monday, April 25, 2005

Love to hear myself talk

After the lesson last night I heard that a lot. I broke the cardinal rule for Sunday night sermons at Parkway Church of Christ. Whereas you should be wrapped up at 5:40 pm, I totally blew that one. My lesson consisted of several attributes of Jesus that I was going to spend a short minute or two on each. I was going to wrap up with the attribute of Love, as if you figure this one out it will prompt you to take care of the other attributes (i.e. you'll serve out of love, love will prompt forgivesness, you will submit to the will of the father out of love, etc.). So I was going to really hammer on the love. But, I got to love at it was 5:55, so I flew threw love. Went pretty well though, I just kept thinking of more things to say as I went. I had a story I was going to use that I had tried to get Cecil to use. In a nut shell, my sister was at the check out counter at wal mart with $150 worth of goods. She had forgotten her checkbook and her credit card was expired. She lived 30 miles away and couldn't just run home to get it. So this lady behind her ( who she didn't know from Adam) insisted that my sister take one of her checks to pay for her goods and then mail her a check. Since my lesson was about doing what Jesus would do I thought that this fit really well. I was going to try to use it in a way to show that their are non church of christ people that are doing what Jesus would do. So who's better off, a person who is a member of a certain church that doesn't necessarily try to walk as Jesus walked or a person who's not a member of the right church that's walking as Jesus walked (as far as serving and loving goes). Would have perked some ears up, so now Cecil just gets to do it. Don't be a chicken Cecil. I stepped out on a limb with including the taboo subject of fellowship with denominations in my lesson.

1 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

Woo! You go, Tommy! Sounds like a great lesson!

So, Cecil..those nonCOC people... you going to give them some kudos?

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home