Sunday, April 10, 2005

Bad Mood

I've found a pattern. I get upset with my wife alot about supposedly not haveing enough time to do things. 9 months out of the year she stays home with the kids. Now I will admit this takes a lot of time to take care of a house and take care of kids. But (there's always a but) she has time to play computer games a couple hours a day. 3 months out of the year she works about 38 hours per week at the tax office. You would have thought the world had ended. She has time for nothing. So me being the husband I am, I try to offer solutions. Get up at 5:15 with me. Since she usually gets up at 6:15-6:30 and rushes like a chicken with her head cut off, this would give her an extra hour to take her time, get something done, or even play a computer game. She is totally convinced she has to have 8-9 hours sleep. I tell her to try 6.5-7 hours for a week and she will feel better. She says she needs 8-9 hours. I say have you ever tried it. SHE SAYS SHE NEEDS 8-9 HOURS. Getting no where with solution number 1 I go to number 2. Get up at normal time on Saturday and Sunday instead of sleeping till 8-9 on Saturday and 7:30 on Sunday. She says she has to catch up on the weekends to get to that 9 hours of sleep she needs. I tell her that experts say you need to get up at the same time each day to feel your best. She says she has to catch up on the weekends to get to that 9 hours of sleep she needs. Solution number 3. On Saturday and Sunday afternoons don't take a nap, get caught up on things. I can't tell you her reply to this. So on to the pattern. I used to think I was in a bad mood in the mornings. I am in a bad mood, but I have now figured it out. I use from 5:15 - 6:30 to offer these solutions to her. I usually sit in the living room after my excercise and stew over not having clean underwear, or out of cereal, etc. So I stomp to the bedroom and say WHERE'S MY CEREAL. While she's laying in bed all I can think about is, " I don't have enough time". Now I could do some of these things myself to help her out, but then I would have to have her help me mow the yard in the summer when I'm working and she's not. She doesn't see it this way. So the pattern I see is that I look for things she has not done and I choose to look for these things at 5:30 in the morning. Well I guess her sleeping late in the mornings is not all bad, if she got up with me, when would I look for all the things she has forgotten to do. I promise this just happened in real time. She was going to iron tonight, but guess what, she doesn't want to. She didn't say she didn't have time, she wants to watch Desperate Housewives. Oh well, she did go find 1 pair of khacki pants in the closet.

1 Comments:

Blogger JD said...

Tommy, if you figure it all out, write a book. But I will add that you could help her without expecting her to help you. We all like a little help. As the husband of a 'stay at home mom', I do know that being home all the time SEEMS like an easier way to go, but things can still be overwhelming at times. So, my brother, bear your wife's burdens.

And if I were you I wouldn't be calling out undone chores at 5:30 a.m. ... you might find a frying pan upside the head!

I like the way you wrote this. It was funny. I will award your wife a plaque if I ever come to Parkway again. She deserves an award. lol

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home